Re: [LAU] Realtime, but many xruns when jack is started. Debian Etch

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 17:46:26 EEST

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 16:37 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> So what your saying, is that the realtime-lsm package of scripts may not be
> too successful.

realtime-lsm is not needed on recent kernels, it does the same thing as
the PAM rlimits. It just lets you run processes with realtime scheduling
and lock memory as a normal user, it will not remove the long code paths
in the kernel that block the CPU when JACK might need it. For that you
need the RT-patch.

> Do you know if there are any debian rt patched kernels available for other
> debian based distros, that might work on Etch, or Lenny?

Sorry, no idea. I just download the latest kernel from kernel.org, patch
it, and build it with the .config file from the latest Debian kernel
package (modified to turn on full preemption and threaded IRQ handlers)
using make-kpkg.

--ll