Re: [LAU] SCSI controller (aic7xxx) and xruns on 2.6 rt9 kernel

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 18:49:58 EEST

There is a problem with the Adaptec SCSI cards. They essentially take
over the PCI bus when they run. I don't believe that there is any fix
for this. My advice to you would be to get rid of the card and the
drives. Where I work we've switched everything over to SATA since they
are just as fast and just as reliable as SCSI (see
http://storagemojo.com/?p=383). They are also much easier to find and,
since we run a worldwide operation, this is extremely important.

. On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 17:04 +0200, Romain Bossart wrote:
> I forgot to mention that my audio card does not share
> its IRQ with aic7xxx.
>
> Romain Bossart wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have many xruns when I read/write files on my SCSI
> > disks. The suspected module is aic7xxx. I read a thread
> > on LAU ('xrun madness') about this, but it dates back
> > to 2004 and gives no solution. This problem does not
> > occur with my other SATA drives. Could someone give me
> > advices to troubleshoot this?
> >

> > Details:
> >
> > I have an Adaptec 39160 controller and 2 disks
> > in a RAID1 (software) array. The module is aic7xxx.
> > My filesystem is ext3. I use debian/unstable with a 2.6.22
> > RT kernel and RTirq. I tweaked my PCI latencies to 0
> > for the Adaptec PCI bus using setpci.
> >
> > Jackd being launched RT, I have no xruns with
> > journalling operations or updatedb. But moderately
> > intense operations on this array do cause many many xruns:
> > for instance loading files into memory (launching
> > firefox, or apt-get update, or copying files).
> > Of course, recording music with Ardour causes
> > many xruns too.
> >
> > Quite surprisingly (for me), I have no xruns when
> > using my other SATA RAID5 (software) array, even
> > very intensively.
> >

> > Thank you for your help!
> >
> > Romain

Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"