Re: [LAU] Kontakt 2 format

From: Mark Constable <markc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 04:15:27 EEST

On 2007-10-05 11:03, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan wrote:
> > There's a sample library I'm looking at, which comes in Kontakt 2
> > format. I can't find any linux apps supporting kontakt 2 format. Is this
> > because of patent issues, or just because nobody's had the time to do
> > it?

Probably time and need. Being a proprietory soundset it means
whatever effort put into being able to play the soundset under
linux still doesn't free up the soundset itslef. I've got 32Gb
of the Colussus 24 bit (1/2 anyway) sounds but I can't give
them to anyone who may be able to reverse engineer the format.

> Well, I don't even think NI made Kontakt-sample-format public, did they ?

Is Gigasampler (ie; Linuxsampler) ?

> Would it be a solution for you to use a translation program to obtain - say
> - sf2 files out of your Kontakt library ?
> These do exist, IIRC.

Excellent solution. I don't hang out in the windows world enough
to have known that. I'll do some googling. Some NI format nuances
may be lost in the translation but the free linux options are so
lacking that anything is better than almost nothing.

--markc