Re: [LAU] Moving devices to different IRQs

From: James Cameron <quozl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 13 2007 - 15:21:22 EEST

G'day Mark,

You may be able to change the IRQ of USB devices if you change the IRQ
stored in the PCI configuration memory of the USB controller. Look into
the setpci command, normally part of the pciutils package. Use lsusb
and lspci to identify the controller, in particular the PCI device id.

A rediscovery of the device is needed afterwards ... which probably
means a reboot, but you could experiment with removing and re-inserting
the USB controller modules.

The BIOS may also have an option to change it. Some BIOS firmware may
simply reassing all the IRQs during initial boot ... look for an option
called configuration data.

> I have a problem with distorted USB sound (Tascam US-122)
> but no matter what USB port I use it is always doubled up
> with another device. If I could "force" all the USB busses
> onto one IRQ (or ideally ohci_hcd on one and ehci_hcd on
> another), and made sure my US-122 was the only USB device,
> then that might make a difference.

But I disagree with your theory. Worth a try, sure. But on modern
systems IRQ sharing isn't generally much of a problem, unless the driver
for the other device isn't doing the right thing.

--
James Cameron    mailto:quozl@email-addr-hidden     http://quozl.netrek.org/