Re: [LAU] difference between realtime-kernel and low-latency-kernel?

From: porl sheean <porl42@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 14 2007 - 05:48:35 EEST

i have actually had no end of trouble with ubuntustudio's (and now ubuntu's)
rt kernel. on an amd 6000+ system with 1gig ram and a rme9652 soundcard i
can't get reliable performance under 40 or so ms. i even tried a vanilla
kernel with the rt patches and had the same trouble. the 64studio kernel
worked fine, however. i'm currently running at 5ms with it and have had no
problems. this is even with compiz fusion running and spinning the cube
whilst playing back audio from an 18 channel ardour project. what patches
would cause such a difference in performance? it isn't any options selected
in 'make menuconfig' - i loaded the 64studio's ones in and used them. still
no luck. i can only assume they have added more patches to do with realtime
performance than just the -rt patchset. any ideas?

porl