Re: [LAU] [LAA] [ANN] gigedit 0.1.0

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 20:25:50 EEST

Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2007 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> On 10/17/07, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 schrieb Marcos Guglielmetti:
> > > Will gigaedit be able to play .gig files by itself?
> > > I mean: linuxsampler is not free software as in freedom, so, It would
> > > be nice to have some replacement.
> > What is hindering you on using the latest GPL-version? Which afaik
> > (without checking) is the latest stable released version anyway...
> I believe the point is that all of the latest versions, for at least 2
> years now, are not GPL. The license was modified.

I am not a lawyer, but neither the COPYING-file nor the (randomly picked)
src/linuxsampler.cpp state anything but gplv2 (or later) for the license.
The README states something about getting the authors authorization to use the
app in commercial software or hardware. While I think this is some legit
modification because they don't want their work to be used commercially
without them knowing, I don't think this rule applies as they probably didn't
ask all the participating authors (and the AUTHORS file states quite a few)
for their permission to change the license.

Which leads me to believe that linuxsampler is (still) free software as in
free-software-defined-by-the-fsf. Or anyone who made a contribution to
linuxsampler before the change in the license and wasn't asked about the
license-change can request for reversing the license-change or their
contribution to be removed from LS.

Have fun,

Arnold

--