Re: [LAU] RealTime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3 x86_64

From: David Haggett <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 21:21:17 EEST

On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Edgar Aichinger wrote:

> > > Interesting :) have a look up here:
> > >   http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/38

[snippety]

> > I'm not a coder, so all I have to go on is logic - but it appears to me
> > that the kernel-source package does not include the necessary files for a
> > realtime kernel.
> >
> > Is there any way that these files can be generated without rebuilding the
> > kernel?
>
> I went through this too, and after asking on #suse about this suser jengelh
> jumped in and rolled new packages, including kernel-rt-source and
> ready-to-install nvidia drivers. His repository is at
>
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-jengelh/SUSE-10.3/
>
> We'd be glad to hear how it behaves for you, either here or in the jacklab
> forums or irc channel.

Now that's what I'm talking about :-).

Was a bit rocky at first - I couldn't get the packaged NVidia modules to load,
tried to install them manually, then realised that I'd downloaded the
kernel-source, rather then the kernel-rt-source package. Fixed that with
YaST, reinstalled the NVidia driver (manually).

Still couldn't start jack with realtime priority, then remembered that I'd
commented out the lines I added to limits.conf. Fixed that and now I have
jackd running with a latency of 2.9msec - which is the best performance I've
seen since SuSE 9.3

Many, many thanks indeed.

--
David Haggett