Re: [LAU] Line noise

From: Leslie P. Polzer <leslie.polzer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 20 2007 - 12:30:23 EEST

> Jamin is not the right tool for playing live through it. It has a builtin
> delay of >10ms which adds to jackd's latency. Use jack-rack for the effects
> you want.

Thanks for the hint; I was just using it for testing.

> 1) There is an electrical difference between mic- and line-inputs/-signals. It
> is _no_ wonder it sounds strange and distorted. You have to use a line-input
> or even better an instrument input. And the SBLive has line-ins as well and
> they are usable with jack.

So running jackd with default ALSA backend settings (i.e. hw:0) just
provides the Mic in as capture ports?

> And with a LiveDrive you get even more...

What's that?

> The best bet is to use some external (guitar-)effect that has instrument-in
> and line-out and connect that line-out to the line-in of the soundcard.

Can't I use a software noise gate or other software filters?
What's a piece of hardware got that I can't do with software?

> And if you use hw:0,3 for playback and hw:0,2 for record in jack you get 16
> ins and outs and you only have to find the right ones (with meterbridge for
> example).

Why are there 16?

And is there a way, read program, to show all available ALSA devices?

  Thanks a lot so far!

    Leslie