Re: [LAU] [ot]: literature on arrangment/composition

From: Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 20 2007 - 14:42:53 EEST

To really understand the process of being affected by music, I recommend
this subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestalt_psychology
Some of the illustrations there are very educational; the same processes all
apply to auditory stimuli, and are key to understanding the experience of
expectation, surprise, familiarity, resolution, etc. in people listening to
music. Or google "law of pragnanz" or "gestalt perception".

I also highly recommend Harry Partch's 'Genesis of a Music', which will
explain to you the significance of all of the intervals in modern music.
It's impossible to really understand what you're doing without some idea of
why different intervals have different effects, different levels of
consonance, etc. There are some fragmented resources online, if you search
for "musical interval", "frequency ratio", "just intonation", or some
combination of those things. Just knowing B flat, F sharp, D sharp, etc.
doesn't help you understand much.

If you like, you can then apply this knowledge to the ABC's and treble clef
stuff, but learning that system alone doesn't tell you much about what's
really happening. Most "music theory" books and classes focus on the
vocabulary, rather than the theory.

-Chuckk

http://www.badmuthahubbard.com