Re: [LAU] ableton live through wine

From: Niklas Klügel <niklas.kluegel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 02:45:25 EEST

Thomas Kuther wrote:
> On Mi, 24.10.07 10:51 "Peter Hartmann" <ascensiontech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> The newer wine almost gets it on my system. The main problem is that
>> it doesn't properly draw the preferences dialog. It just smears
>> what's underneath it in a box, if that makes any sense. If anyone has
>> a fix, do tell! I've tried all manor of graphics and windowing
>> options.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On 10/24/07, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Does anyone here have any experience with running ableton live
>>> through wine? Some googling suggests it might be possible, but I'd
>>> like to know from people with hands on experience...
>>>
>>> --
>>> peace, love & harmony
>>> Atte
>>>

> Wow, I didn't even get that far :)
> But last time I tried was short after the WineASIO hype with
> wine-0.9.3x something.
>
> Will try again with latest wine and wineasio.

to run ableton (6.something) you need to disable sound (alsa or jack,
might work with oss).
which doesnt make much sense. anyhow, it is better to use virtualbox and
run it from there. you might map some usb devices to reroute midi from
windows to
linux. on the other hand one might be tempted to write a backend for the
virtualbox AC97 "device" to use jack (could be around one weekend of
hacking).
for virtualbox you should disable all the directdraw acceleration of
your virtualbox-gfx
adaptor (not the vesa one), because ableton has some issues with
refreshing otherwise.

so long...
Niklas