Re: [LAU] Line noise

From: Graham Franklin <dimension5@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 16:01:33 EEST

Hi

I had the same problem a while back, I solved the problem with a unit
made by M-Audio called the Ozone which is a small midi keyboard with
audio card built in, it connects using usb which seems to work with some
distro's using madfu.
The features which made it useful to me where the guitar preamp and mic
preamp with phantom power so you can use a condenser microphone to
record vocals / acoustic instruments, also it has a switch that passes
the input strait to the output so even it you can't get the USB working
you can feed the pre-amped guitar/mic to the input of your internal
sound card, the midi keyboard also has a standard din output too so that
can be connected to your sound cards midi in, and the 8 control knobs
output controller info (very useful for softsynths), I find it very
useful for general music production, there is model with a larger
keyboard and 2 stereo in/outs called the Ozonic, but this uses firewire
and I think that really is a pain to get working with Linux.
The list price when I got my Ozone was about £160 but I think you can
get one for about £100 now.
To sum it up what I needed was
1. guitar preamp,
2. XLR mic input,