Re: [LAU] [ANN] Bristol-0.10.11 available on sourceforge

From: Dragan Noveski <perodog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 16:18:05 EEST

Nick Copeland wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Bristol version 0.10.11 has been uploaded to sourceforge on the usual
> URL, it should be below but you can find it there anyway. It has been
> several releases since I have sent out any announcements, so apart
> from a few more emulations (Realistic MG-1, VOX Continental MK-II/300
> with pedalboard, Hammond B3 with pedalboard) this release also adds
> another arpeggiator. Bristol already had one arpeggiating emulation,
> the Korg Mono/Poly, however that was bespoke to the single algorithm.
> Now there is a more general one available on the Juno emulation that
> will eventually be put into the pending Jupiter-8 emulation and
> perhaps others. This code has been implemented in the engine itself,
> eventually to be moved into the midi library: the Mono/Poly had its
> own version since it was not a polyphonic arpeggiator, rather just an
> oscillator arpeggiator - that code has not changed.
>
> Other candidates for this arpeggiator, once it has been validated, are
> the Prophet-10 and OB-Xa emulations. The Jupiter-8 will obviously have
> it as well (with or without validated code...).
>
> Feedback as ever appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bristol
hallo nick, great to hear from you!
as always, there is so much one can try to do with bristol, but my first
experience...

hammond is crashing just after the gui appears:

nowhiskey@email-addr-hidden:~$ startBristol -jack -hammond
/usr/local/bin/startBristol: line 238: [: 1024: binary operator expected
spawning midi thread
parent going into idle loop
connected to :0.0
display is 1024 by 768 pixels
Window is w 1024, h 768, d 24, 0 0 0
Using DirectColor display
alloc color by name Blue
midi sequencer
Opened listening control socket: 5028
Initialise the hammondB3 link to bristol: 8119d50
starting engine
Client ID = 129
Queue ID = 0
Registering 0 1
Registered 129 0
Device name "bristol" did not parse, defaults 128.0
Could not find bristol engine
hostname is localhost, bristol
port is 5028
Connected to the bristol control socket: 5
bristolengine already active
Accepted connection from 0 (3) onto 2 (5)
created 16 voices: allocated 16 to synth
engine MIDI channel 0
spawning audio thread
registering jack interface
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm/]
SSE2 detected
Jack period count mismatch: 512 (bristol -count=1024)
Rescheduled thread: 95
initialising one hammond sound
micro first 0.000000 last 0.000000 (hammond)
veloc first 0.00 last 1.00
done create interface: 81150d0, 8119d50
Client ID = 130
Queue ID = 1
Registering 0 1
Registered 130 0
Device name "brighton" did not parse, defaults 128.0
opened GUI midi handle: 1, fd 65
Read Configuration: hammondB3
brightonWorldChanged(765 400 10 10)
going operational: 8115008, 8119d50
doPreacher()
doPedalSlider(8115008, 0, 0, 0, 0, 5)
doPedalSlider(8115008, 0, 0, 1, 0, 8)
doPreacher()
Found port alsa_pcm:playback_1
Found port alsa_pcm:playback_2
Bristol Defaulted Conn: bristol:out_left to alsa_pcm:playback_1
Bristol Defaulted Conn: bristol:out_right to alsa_pcm:playback_2
Found port alsa_pcm:capture_1
Found port alsa_pcm:capture_2
Bristol Defaulted Conn: alsa_pcm:capture_1 to bristol:in
bristolMidiSendNRP(0, 0, 16382, 0)
cleared sigpipe handler
cleanupBrighton(0)
midi write error, fd 5, size 1
midi write error, fd 5, size 12
midi write error, fd 5, size 1
return - no data in buffer
socket closed
request acked: -1
/usr/local/bin/startBristol: line 311: 21838 Speicherzugriffsfehler
bristol -rate ${RATE} -count ${COUNT} $*

vox: first there is no sound and after i try to move some sliders, crash:
(moving the first slider from left side labeled '16')

nowhiskey@email-addr-hidden:~$ startBristol -jack -vox
/usr/local/bin/startBristol: line 238: [: 1024: binary operator expected
connected to :0.0
display is 1024 by 768 pixels
Window is w 1024, h 768, d 24, 0 0 0
Using DirectColor display
alloc color by name Blue
Initialise the vox link to bristol: 8119d50
spawning midi thread
parent going into idle loop
midi sequencer
Opened listening control socket: 5028
Client ID = 129
Queue ID = 0
Registering 0 1
Registered 129 0
Device name "bristol" did not parse, defaults 128.0
hostname is localhost, bristol
port is 5028
Connected to the bristol control socket: 5
bristolengine already active
Accepted connection from 0 (3) onto 2 (5)
created 16 voices: allocated 16 to synth
engine MIDI channel 0
spawning audio thread
registering jack interface
Rescheduled thread: 95
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm/]
SSE2 detected
Jack period count mismatch: 512 (bristol -count=1024)
initialising vox sound
micro first 0.000000 last 0.000000 (vox)
veloc first 0.00 last 1.00
done create interface: 81150d0, 8119d50
Client ID = 130
Queue ID = 1
Registering 0 1
Registered 130 0
Device name "brighton" did not parse, defaults 128.0
opened GUI midi handle: 1, fd 36
Read Configuration: vox
brightonWorldChanged(550 250 10 10)
going operational
voxDrawbar(8115008, 0, 0, 0, 0, 8)
voxDrawbar(8115008, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0)
voxDrawbar(8115008, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0)
voxDrawbar(8115008, 0, 0, 3, 0, 8)
voxDrawbar(8115008, 0, 0, 4, 0, 8)
voxDrawbar(8115008, 0, 0, 5, 0, 1)
bristolMidiSendNRP(0, 0, 16382, 0)
bristolMidiSendNRP(0, 0, 16381, 0)
bristolMidiSendRP(0, 0, 0, 2)
Found port alsa_pcm:playback_1
Found port alsa_pcm:playback_2
Bristol Defaulted Conn: bristol:out_left to alsa_pcm:playback_1
Bristol Defaulted Conn: bristol:out_right to alsa_pcm:playback_2
Found port alsa_pcm:capture_1
Found port alsa_pcm:capture_2
Bristol Defaulted Conn: alsa_pcm:capture_1 to bristol:in
voxDrawbar(8115008, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7)
cleared sigpipe handler
cleanupBrighton(0)
midi write error, fd 5, size 1
midi write error, fd 5, size 12
midi write error, fd 5, size 1
return - no data in buffer
socket closed
request acked: -1
/usr/local/bin/startBristol: line 311: 21925 Speicherzugriffsfehler
bristol -rate ${RATE} -count ${COUNT} $*
nowhiskey@email-addr-hidden:~$

the third thing i found is a small feature, starting pro10 emulator, the
balance poti is turned hard-left, so i have sound only in the left
channel. it would be good if per default the balance is centered here.

other ways, nice stuff we got here!!

thanks and cheers,
doc