[LAU] Question about fitting all this MIDI music stuff together

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 05:02:41 EET

I have a laptop with the Intel integrated audio, which lacks any form of
hardware MIDI synthesizer, so I use fluidsynth. I use Rosegarden for my
sequencer. I just got an E-Mu 1x1 USB<>MIDI cable to hook in my Yamaha
keyboard.

Let me see if I've got this whole thing straight. Keyboard talks to
Rosegarden. Rosegarden talks to fluidsynth (and to the keyboard, if I
want). Fluidsynth talks to JACK, JACK talks to ALSA, ALSA drives the
sound hardware. So I play something on the keyboard, it bounces through
the above chain (with of course the manual step of playing the
composition from Rosegarden if I'm using Rosegarden), and sound burbles
joyously from the laptop sound output. Yes?

Then, also, I can have other programs (like PD, CSound, amsynth, ALSA
Modular Synth, Audacity, etc) hook into this chain somewhere, too? Do I
connect everything together using JACK?

I'm asking all this because my present music setup on the laptop is sort
of hodgepodged together - somehow it works, but I'm not sure how, or if
it's even working the best way it could be.

I'm not planning to switch distros, boring Debian testing works for the
vast majority of my needs (music writing is a smallish part of that).
Later, I'll tackle setup/configuration of the desktop computer, which
has more horsepower and a real sound card, and perhaps set that one up
with an audio-focussed distro. But for now, just focusing on the laptop.

Thanks. IIRC, I also owe Julien some song lyrics, too - sorry, Julien,
it's on the to do list!

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden