Re: [LAU] Good mic for voice?

From: porl sheean <porl42@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 14:54:12 EET

a good cheap mic? i can recommend the ones i have (i got them as part of a
drum set but i've used them for lots of other stuff) is the samson c01. they
worked brilliantly for the vocals of the last track i did, as the singers
voice seemed to sit with it better than my valve mic (rode). i'm sure those
other mics you mentioned are great as well, but i haven't used them. i think
i have heard good things about the b1 though, can't remember :)

as for the focusrite, if the pres are different to the ones in the higher
end gear (most probable) then i can't really speak for them. if you get the
vx2496 then be aware that it is not a sound card, and you will need an
aes/ebu compatible interface to use it. the only behringer interfaces that
work directly to the pc are the bcontrol audio (control surface and audio
interface in one. not sure if it is still available), the u-control (a usb
device) and the f-control (firewire). both the u- and f-controls have no mic
pres (i think, check for yourself though) so you would still need a pre
between them and the mic.

if you want to do it on the cheap, then pretty much any usb interface should
do (check first though), as most of them seem to use a standard usb-audio
format. a while back i was looking for some for the school and i think
tascam did something reasonable. it was a while back though.

actually, i remember the small presonus (firebox i think) interfaces were
supposed to be good value too.

hope i haven't confused you more! :)

porl