Re: [LAU] Good mic for voice?

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 16:19:07 EET

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:24:59AM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> If you care more about sound quality, there's a #4 choice too: insert a
> compressor between the mic preamp and the computer. The RNC1773 (a.k.a.
> "Really Nice Compressor") provides an excellent performance/price ratio,
> but other choices are available too if you do some research.

While I have (and love) an RNC, it's worth noting that a compressor
can be done in software (I've been pretty happy with SC4 from Steve
Harris' plugin set), but the rest of the stuff requires hardware.

Also, an alternative to buying a standalone preamp: get a small mixer.
You get multiple preamps and a lot more functions that are endlessly
useful in even the smallest home studio.
The Mackie 1202 in its various incarnations is a solid choice.
I got mine on ebay.

--
Paul Winkler