Re: [LAU] MIDI keyboard compatability

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 20:04:14 EET

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:56:01AM -0400, ANDERSON GREGORY wrote:
> I am looking to buy a MIDI keyboard controller but I am
> having trouble coming up with a site that has
> compatibility info on it. Could someone point me in the
> right direction?
> Thanks Greg.
>

Any MIDI keyboard will work with your computer's MIDI interface. MIDI is a 20-year-old standard. If it has a MIDI port, it will work.

As for using the USB port instead of the MIDI port: if the keyboard's documentation says it is "class compliant" then it should plug and play in USB using the ALSA MIDI and ALSA sequencer drivers that are the standard in linux kernels.

If you're not sure, then bring a linux laptop to the music store, boot it up, and plug the USB keyboard in to make sure it works. It should show up in "lsusb", and typing "amidi -l" and "aconnect -lio" should both show that it is recognized. Connect it to your favorite softsynth using aconnect, QJackCtl, or patchage, and try it out.

The above is exactly what I did before buying my Novation Remote SL. The guys in the store were like, "WTF is THAT?! Sure doesn't look like Ableton to me!" But it worked so I bought it.

It's also worthwhile to make sure that the manufacturer of your keyboard makes firmware updates available in standard MIDI SYSEX format. Novation does not any longer (as of version 3.1). A lot of the advanced (and expensive!) features of their products are completely proprietary and require proprietary software on the PC. So I would advise staying away from Novation products.

Finally, I have to advise either staying away from M-Audio keyboards, or making sure you buy them under warranty. They're crap. An Axiom 49 just up and died on me after a few months of regular gigging. I think the power regulator went toes-up. I'd bought it used, no warranty, and I was screwed. Before throwing it out a window, I salvaged some parts from it (8 rotary continuous controllers, 9 faders) if anyone wants them for a project; make me an offer.

- -ken
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

CgLfvsM+Dl7/uSmDbSC7imI=
=4kIu
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Received on Sun Nov 4 20:15:07 2007

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Sun Nov 04 2007 - 20:15:07 EET