Re: [LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 06:48:15 EET

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 21:04, Frank Pirrone wrote:
> blowing, or even preposterous -What kind of a moron would call a
> search site...yawn...something goofy and meaningless, like Google?)

One who immediately sees it as a more marketable spelling of the
word "googol".

> , the basic idea of aligned tracks posted to a project site in a
> low-loss data format that can be loaded into something as humble as
> Audacity, with tracks playing or muted to test additions or
> substitutions, and when one contributor is done their track is
> uploaded and the project file is saved and ready for the next
> "edit" is a powerful one.

Where I got stuck, and the reason I came up with all those ideas about
streaming mix previews and bittorrent mixdowns, is where the
bandwidth comes from. Not in terms of "OMG we need a business model
ASAP", but in terms of "how can this be made efficient enough that it
can be kept a community effort and not just a deluxe mp3.com?"

I mean, if some big benefactor like archive.org gets in on this, sure,
you can just start checking in WAV files willy-nilly. Maybe even
some European equivalent of the NEA (since obviously sharing music is
communism even it's your own, and thus my own government would have
nothing to do with such an endeavor.)

> contribution, but I don't know what would be the right side of
> chaos, maybe a reasonable number of contributors on each instrument
> would impose some inherent order. Whatever.

I always envisioned just having all the tracks out there, and having
any contributor able to make a mix (in EDL form) from whichever
source tracks he or she likes.

Rob