Re: [LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

From: Marc-Olivier Barre <mobarre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 11:09:24 EET

Hi,

As a starter, I'd also like to be in :-)

I can play... loads of stuff. Derbuka, digeridoo, Cajon, guitar,
piano, recorder (heh, well... I've been to school :-)

On Nov 14, 2007 8:59 AM, Mark Constable <markc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Speaking of MIDI (I know I know, it's a dirty 4 letter word)...
> anything to do with MIDI would be ideal for collaborative
> subversion management because the file size is so reasonable.
>
> Perhaps a judicious compromise between using MIDI, where
> feasible, and vorbis test tracks (again, where feasible) and
> only relying on flac'd wav tracks towards the end of the
> pieces lifetime when it comes time for mastering.
>
> I suspect the uploaded wav format should be 16bit/44.1khtz
> because of bandwidth concerns.

MIDI could be used for collaborative composition, With a set of fixed
downloadable instrument samples to work with. Then could the real
recording/mastering part come.
Another possibility I've been thinking about is a fixed database of
wave files assembled in an ardour session. The ardour session could be
edited in a collaborative fashion using SVN, while the audio would be
out of this scope (audio files are just too big for
SVN/GIT/CVS/WhatEver to handle)