Re: [LAU] LAU collaboration coordination?

From: plutek-infinity <plutek@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 23:31:48 EET

>Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:05:51 +0100 (CET)
>From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>

>Hi Frank!
> I still have a little problem with the "loosing" "winning" idea. Ok: we
>might say we get a simple choice on track most wanted and definitely up them
>to the main server. But what about using simple .html file with listings and
>enable others to include "loosing" tracks into the lists. So everyone can VERY
>easily download EVERYTHING and do what they want.

i don't think there was any intention to actually LOSE material, just to make decisions about what to include in a mix for potential release as a communal effort. everything will still be available for alternate mixes by individuals as they please -- and, of course, any individual's mix could end up being a favourite of the group anyway.

i'm not clear on how you're proposing to use .html files.

> About timestamps: Why not take seconds or samples (in 44.1kHz). I know
>ecasound is able to go by samples (which is maximum accuracy. What about the
>other apps: ardour, audacity, etc...?

i use ardour. yes, it can do sample-accurate placement. in my README, i've suggested mm:ss.sss just because it's easier for humans to read. however, i'm entirely happy to work with sample-stamps.

other opinions?

> Finally about MIDI: Why not have a midi-basetrack. Produced the most easily,
>easily aligned to perfect notes. And I assume everyone has a midi-sequencer
>and something to export midi. It's posibble with timidity, ecasound(using
>timidity), probably fluidsynth... It's small, simple, clean, you can read
>notes from it if necessary, it's standard and everyone has it.

personally, i'm not interested in MIDI -- and a lot of us play acoustic instruments, for which that is not functional. we'd also have to start dealing with issues of soundfonts, etc. to have a good idea of what each person is doing with MIDI. however, having said that, i don't have any rabid objections to people uploading MIDI files. just realize that utilizing that material requires those of us who use audio-only tools to re-formulate our workflow. that may not happen.

glad to see this all getting hammered out!

--
.pltk.