[LAU] chrt doesn't seem to be working

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 19 2007 - 22:10:09 EET

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting chrt to, um, chrt.

I've written a little MIDI-processing daemon and I want it to run with high priority. It is very small and tight and I don't expect it to take up much CPU, but I definitely want it running first.

So I do this:
        sudo /usr/bin/chrt -f -p 81 `pidof mydaemon`

And then I do this:
        ps -Leo pid,class,rtprio,ni,pri,pcpu,stat,comm --sort -rtprio

And... my daemon does *not* show up in the process list at all.

Is there some other special magick I must do from within the daemon itself in order to even get it *considered* to be a RT process? i.e. must I call sched_prio functions from within the process itself?

-ken