Re: [LAU] jackd @ startup

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2007 - 16:12:10 EET

On Friday 23 November 2007 08:57:19 James McDermott wrote:
> [2g: apologies for multiple versions, I forgot to send to the list]
>
> > i feel like a fool
> > whenever i do
> > jackd -R -dalsa -S
> > at the beginning of everyday's routine..
>
> Maybe you should get qjackctl and set it to auto-start jackd
>
> > but i also wonder if there is an issue that i'd better get aware of
> > befor going this way
> > maybe flash things will loose sound when in firefox?
>
> That's what I find, I think. I only start jack when I'm recording (I
> have qjackctl bound to a hotkey in fluxbox). If I'm just using web or
> listening to mp3s jack isn't running. If firefox is playing sounds (or
> has played some in the past) then I have to quit it before starting
> jack.
>
> > on fluxbox i think i'll go 1 workspace per 1 app
> > having jackd done only in one workspace would be a trouble?
>
> It doesn't work like that. When you say workspace you mean multiple
> desktops, alt-f[1-4], right? Once jackd is started, it's started for
> the whole system regardless of workspace.

Another thought...

For some of what I do here I have a little Alesis multimix8 USB... (built in
USB soundcard)

One thing you can do is have two sound cards.

Set your normal system stuff to use one sound card (say the onboard in my
case) and your recording stuff to use the other (say the multimix in my
case) - this can work fine depending on your needs.

That little Alesis mixer is a decent price for what it gives you to my way of
thinking.

I have a similar setup on another box with a delta 1010 and an onboard card.

all the best,

drew