Re: [LAU] chill-out band - a first stab

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 10:15:09 EET

On 20 November 2007 at 18:37, Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ahnel=F6v?= <operagasten@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> To answer your question, I believe we'll (yes, I might chime in) base
> work around samples, so you won't be submitting midi-files, as it would
> create havoc (sure, you could provide a midi-file so someone else could
> recreate what you've done, but please provide a audio sample as well).
>
> Why, you may ask? Well, for starters, you would have to provide us with
> presets, instructions for patching in jack and alsa, and some program's
> midifiles don't play nice with other's (for example, even if you arrange
> a song in seq24, it'll be hell for a Rosegarden-user).
>
> So, well, yes. just fiddle around, and when it sounds good on your
> computer, just sample and upload it. That'll work nicest.

MIDI has it's place. I find it works well for sketching things out,
but there are details to be worked out as you say. For making really
good quality audio stuff, ya gotta share the audio files though. At
least that's my experience over more than a decade. MIDI still had
trouble in a band I was in where we were all using Logic.

Cheers....

--
Kevin