[LAU] [OT] a sorting problem with AVSynthesis and mencoder

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 14:01:11 EET

Greetings,

I use the following command to invoke mencoder to compile a series of
TGA image files into an animation :

mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vme=1:keyint=30:vbitrate=1000
-vf scale=800:600 -noskip -mf type=tga:fps=30 -o avs-001.avi mf://*.tga

(Sorry about the line breaks.)

The problem starts with the "mf://*.tga" part of the command. When the
AVSynthesis program creates its TGA images it saves and labels them
sequenctially, i.e. 1.tga, 2.tga, 3.tga and so on, as expected. The
problem is that mencoder reads the files as they would be returned by a
plain ls command, i.e. 1.tga, 10.tga, 100.tga, 1000.tga, 1001.tga
...101.tga, 1010.tga, thus interpolating frames out of their correct order.

So, my question is, how do I get mencoder to read the TGA files by their
time of creation ? That should do the trick, yes ? Otherwise I have to
separate the single digit files from the double digit files and so
forth, then I have to create and join separate AVIs. Not terribly
difficult, just really annoying and time-consuming.

Any suggestions ? Any mencoder users out there ?

Also, what do you use in place of mencoder on a 64-bit system ? (It's
not available for 64 Studio.)

Best,

dp