Re: [LAU] Accessible MIDI sequencer for Linux

From: Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 11:43:48 EET

Den Friday 30 November 2007 09.41.38 skrev Arnold Krille:
> Am Freitag, 30. November 2007 schrieb Tomas Valusek:
> > thanks for your answers, but I need to teech sequencing, therefore I
> > need to use something sighted pupils can use as well, and it should be a
> > "typical" sequencer. I actually use Lilypond for writing notation.
>
> Why do you want your lecture to focus on the tool instead of the task (and
> ways of solution)?

I think you are making wrong assumptions here. He want a "typical" sequencer.
For me, as a occasional teacher, I interpret that as "I need a tool to go
from theory to practice". If that is Cisco/Linux/Volvo/Samsung/wrench or what
ever it doesn't matter as long as you have been thorough in your theory
teaching.

> I mean the "most important" argument[*] for not switching to free software
> is always "I am used to this and that, relearning is far to much time". And
> that is because people learn to use tools but not to solve tasks with
> whatever tool is available.
> I could be your lecture gets even better if you and your pupils use two or
> three different sequencers and all achieve the same thing and maybe even
> all can be synced together...

I some times lecture in computer networks at royal institute of technology in
Stockholm. The problem is not to show students the principals of the task but
to make useful laborations. For that you often need a specific tool.
Different tools takes up huge amount of preparation time. I do use
Cisco/Juniper/"Linux-PC with Quagga" to teach in OSPF/ISIS/BGP. One
laboration may take weeks to construct. It's not getting any easier if you
have 3-4 platforms.

regards,

/bengan