Re: [LAU] Hardware synths

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 02:46:40 EET

Le Samedi, 1 Décembre 2007 01:34:42 +0100,
David Olofson <david@olofson.net> a écrit :

> I believe it comes down to tweaking and polishing. Hardware synths
> are expensive beasts, and all you get is one instance with limited
> polyphony. They *have* to sound better, or be vastly superior in some
> other way, or no one is going to pay that kind of money.

Could very well be. I agree with what you're saying. I'm working
quite often at the FPGA level interface and such so I do not see any
major hindrance for delivering deep, rich sounds with Linux software,
as long as the hardware can deliver it.

> There shouldn't be a problem getting at least as good sound out of a
> softsynth, provided someone actually takes the time to tune the DSP
> to perfection and program a set of really good sounds. I'm not sure
> that is ever going to happen for Free/Open Source synths - but then
> again, it just might if/when the community reaches that particular
> critical mass.

That's the dilemna. Too often I read that x card is supported in Linux
only to find out that the guys managed to get bytes out of it and
that's it.

Just to be sure: I'm all for Linux and Open Source.

Cheers,

Al