Re: [LAU] Hardware synths

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 04:56:47 EET

On Sunday 02 December 2007, david wrote:
[...]
> David Olofson wrote:
>
> >> What is thicker?
> >
> > Now, that is probably very subjective, but in general, it would be
> > a sound with more information in it. For example, some sounds are
> > improved by adding slightly detuned oscillators in large numbers.
> > (Well, most sounds, if you're into "organic" or analog/acoustic
> > feel sounds in general.)
>
> I recently discovered that the Yamaha PSR-740 has both a "Sine Wave"
> voice and a "Thick Sine" voice. There is a big difference between
> the two, yet you can tell that they're both using sine waves. So
> that's my empirical experience of what is "thicker".

I'd guess one of them is pretty close to a perfect sine whereas the
other - obviously - is not.

Why not record and FFT them? If you can hear a difference in timbre,
the FFT spectrum should tell you why. If you can hit an FFT bin dead
center, you should get a single peak with a pure sine, and various
extra peaks with other waveforms.

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |