[LAU] emi 2 | 6: after upgrade from ubuntustudio 7.04-7.10, alsa works, but no jack

From: howard peacock <howard_peacock@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 04:38:54 EET

Hi everyone - thanks for being there. From what I've read, this seems like a very knowledgeable thread, so I hope someone can help with this...

I upgraded from ubuntu studio Feisty to studio Gutsy recently, and although everything sound-wise is working fine (i.e. all system sounds and non-jack dependent audio programs are working fine), I can't get jack to work with my sound card.

The sound card is an EMI 2| 6 (usb) - alsa picks it up, and I can select 'alsa' as my system sound device with no problems.

starting jackd -d alsa gives this:

apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|16|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 16 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit little-endian
ALSA: use 16 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian
ALSA: use 16 periods for playback
ALSA: cannot set hardware parameters for playback
ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns
01:44:32.686 JACK was stopped successfully.
01:44:32.686 Post-shutdown script...
01:44:32.686 killall jackd
jackd: no process killed
01:44:32.901 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
01:44:34.688 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check the messages window for more info.

The accompanying /var/log/syslog records this:
Dec 2 01:44:32 ubuntu kernel: [ 7766.542118] cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28: not enough bandwidth

I have read around the place that kernels up to 2.6.20 had usb bandwidth allocation which might have caused this, but I'm using what ubuntu calls 2.6.22-14-rt. So I shouldn't be getting bandwidth errors. Especially when the previous kernel worked fine with the same physical configuration of usb socket + sound card.

Plus, audacity seems to be able to achieve simultaneous stereo playback and capture. So it can't be beyond the capacity of the alsa driver...

Any ideas? I'm not averse to the idea of compiling a new kernel, but I'd want to be sure that is where the problem is before getting into it....

All the best,
Howard

www.randomchord.com
www.funktonite.com