Re: [LAU] audio compression of all alsa output?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 03 2007 - 23:33:15 EET

You can use JAMin but you need to run JACK.

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 15:52 -0500, Nathan Curry wrote:
> I've got a system I'm doing tech support on, and I'm trying to get all
> audio streams normalized/compressed before the audio is spit out the
> speakers.
>
> Basically, we've got several buttons that play an audio stream through
> mpg123. The streams are different volumes and that understandably
> upsets the customers when they change audio streams and it's suddenly
> blaring christian contemporary music at their patrons.
>
> Does anyone know of any way to do this, or at least any little
> compression/normalization apps I might be able to pipe the data
> through? I would prefer to avoid JACK, but that's only because I don't
> want to have to do more work than necessary, and this isn't (rather,
> shouldn't be) a very complex system.
>
> Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
> -Nathan
> PS: This godawful thing is running on FC4 (vanilla, for all intents
> and purposes), btw.

Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"