Re: [LAU] Hardware synths

From: Miguel M <therevoltingx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 05 2007 - 04:43:34 EET

Yeah I wouldn't use a fanless cpu, not nearly enough CPU power.
Heck when I play live sessions I just bring my entire custom built linux
PC which I then control through FreeNX on my laptop.
I use it exclusively as synth/rythm machine/midi sequencer. I don't see
the point for a hardware synth. Seems like a waste of money to me.
I'd rather spend some money on some cool midi controller pads or
something.

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 03:39 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Ken Restivo wrote:
> [...]
> > For live use, if I can find the money I'll buy one of those fanless
> > nano-ATX or micro-ATX mobo's,
> [...]
>
> Be warned though; those VIA Cx and AMD Geode CPUs found on most
> fan-less boards aren't anything like workstation CPUs. Incredible
> power *per Watt* - but you'd need to run one at several GHz to get
> anywhere near the slowest Socket 775 Celeron you can find.
>
> Don't know how they handle FPU intensive work, but I'd suspect it's
> even worse. Has anyone tested that?
>

> //David Olofson - Programmer, Composer, Open Source Advocate
>
> .------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
> | http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
> | http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |
> | http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting |