Re: [LAU] linux audio ready in 5 minutes - using which distro and interface?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 09 2007 - 11:56:50 EET

Hallo,
hollunder@email-addr-hidden hat gesagt: // hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:53:49 +0100
> Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Try pure:dyne: http://puredyne.goto10.org/
>
> My idea is to be able to do this with a low budget, everything you
> would need would be the usb interface (most older computers don't have
> firewire) and probably some kind of storage device to get the data home
> or to some other place or even to record to it directly. The interface
> could be used at home as well. The storage device could be an external
> usb disc or cd-r, dvd-r, whatever.

That's exactly what pure:dyne was designed for. I've used e.g. it in
Pure-Data-workshops to quickly give attendants a working system with
Pd, jack and all that on their laptops.

> No need for a laptop, a hardware recorder or anything, just cheap stuff
> you can use at home as well.
> The result isn't going to be a high quality recording anyway, because
> the location is likely not a studio or anything, but it would allow to
> just pack the stuff into a small backpack and record something at any
> place with a computer, using linux ;)
>
> Currently I wonder which audio interface would fit best.
> It would need to be usb and work well with the linux distro out of the
> box and jack, which, I think, is probably a bit problematic.

It's not problematic, unless you're dealing with ppc-machines or so,
newer macbooks also can be tricky. Other than that, just get a USB
soundbox that's supported by ALSA, check the USB device list for that:
http://qbik.ch/usb/devices/

An example setup could be pure:dyne on a 2 or 4 gig USB stick with the
Behringer U-Control USB device. Fits in every pocket, cost is less
than 50 Euro/Dollar.

Ciao