Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 13:09:07 EET

Le Mardi, 11 Décembre 2007 08:42:56 +0100,
Sebastian Tschöpel <tschoseb@tu-cottbus.de> a écrit :

> http://www.sternenhejim.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=50

I do not agree with the hardware issues of the article. At least not on
the basic functionalities. As far as I'm concerned I bought, plugged
and played the following items: Alesis Control Pad, and the M-Audio
Prokeys88 and M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboards. Now, there's no software to
use for storing presets on the Axiom 25 (only Windows) but that's OK
since I don't need that function. And the Control Pad came with BFD
drums that so far I cannot use on Linux (haven't looked at it that much
either). I wouldn't call that hardware issues.

The M-Audio 1010LT card did not require either any configuration apart
from installing it in the PC and reading the manual to know what the
bunch of wires means.

I think these hardware components might be very well be popular. And I
wouldn't be surprised that _any_ MIDI keyboard would simply show up in
jack after connecting, without aby other thing to do.

And what about drivers ? Drivers ? I never installed any friggin'
driver in Linux for making music. I easily downloaded using the
friendly graphical interface for KDE kyum the Planet CCRMA applications
I needed for making music and that's it. But drivers ? I'm curious
about what kind of drivers you need under Linux, and to which hardware
they belong. Surely there must be some exoensive stuff out there that
requires drivers...

Tschüß,

Al