Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 19:29:56 EET

On Tue, December 11, 2007 14:58, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Found on a Cakewalk docs site :
>

> *Groove Quantize*
>

> Groove Quantize allows you to change the "feel" of an existing
> performance. This is especially handy for spicing up step-entered MIDI
> data or performances that need tight, groovin' timing. The best way to
> learn how to use Groove Quantize is by experimentation. Other than the
> Groove Source itself, the settings that will effect Groove Quantize the
> most are the Resolution, Strength Duration, Strength Time, and Strength
> Velocity.
>
> So now we all know.

yes, i've used cakewalk pro audio "groove-quantize" midi effect once
before. the way i understand it, you first preset an existing midi pattern
as your chosen groove style, or so-called. groove-quantization is then the
process in which an arbitrary midi sequence is quantized or made more or
less similar to that preset style pattern in regard to onsets, velocity,
duration, etc. in short, to have similar "feel".

otoh, there's also another midi effect, called "swing-quantize", being
fundamentally different. here, iirc, the quarters are moved back and
forward to sound like triplets and/or vice-versa.

it is my understanding (and i can be wrong) that most hardware like the
akai mpcs, the roland grooveboxes et al. has it called "groove-quantize"
but in fact is a form of "swing-quantize", at least according to
cakewalk's definition.

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela