Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 05:08:45 EET

Le Mardi, 11 Décembre 2007 09:58:50 -0500,
Dave Phillips <dlphillips@woh.rr.com> a écrit :

> Found on a Cakewalk docs site :
>
> *Groove Quantize*
>
> Groove Quantize allows you to change the "feel" of an existing
> performance. This is especially handy for spicing up step-entered
> MIDI data or performances that need tight, groovin' timing.
> The best way to learn how to use Groove Quantize is by
> experimentation. Other than the Groove Source itself, the settings
> that will effect Groove Quantize the most are the Resolution,
> Strength Duration, Strength Time, and Strength Velocity.
>
> So now we all know.

I though it had more to do with fitting notes to a tempo. Like when
something is recorded but could use a bit of help to be tight to the
tempo. Anyways, I'm pretty sure Seq24 does that (not used it
personally).

On the other hand, I once had a Roland drum machine that 'spiced up' a
pattern by introducing variations in tone, tempo and attack. Hydrogen
does that.

BTW, I read your article in Linux Magazine (yes, that magazine with the
full-page mostly Windows 'shareware' advertisement ;-) and perhaps an
interesting way to try 64Studio on a Windows machine is by means of the
VmPlayer 64Studio virtual machine appliance. Some downloading to do,
though. I'd try it, but I don't have enough Windows interest, and the
'Windows people' I know are not into playing/making music.

Cheers,

Al