Re: [LAU] groove quantisation Was : A year of Linux Audio revisited

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 09:41:51 EET

Folderol wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:29:56 -0000 (WET)
> "Rui Nuno Capela" <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, December 11, 2007 14:58, Dave Phillips wrote:
>>> Found on a Cakewalk docs site :
>>>

>>> *Groove Quantize*
>>>

>>> Groove Quantize allows you to change the "feel" of an existing
>>> performance. This is especially handy for spicing up step-entered MIDI
>>> data or performances that need tight, groovin' timing. The best way to
>>> learn how to use Groove Quantize is by experimentation. Other than the
>>> Groove Source itself, the settings that will effect Groove Quantize the
>>> most are the Resolution, Strength Duration, Strength Time, and Strength
>>> Velocity.
>>>
>>> So now we all know.
>>>
>> yes, i've used cakewalk pro audio "groove-quantize" midi effect once
>> before. the way i understand it, you first preset an existing midi pattern
>> as your chosen groove style, or so-called. groove-quantization is then the
>> process in which an arbitrary midi sequence is quantized or made more or
>> less similar to that preset style pattern in regard to onsets, velocity,
>> duration, etc. in short, to have similar "feel".
>>
>> otoh, there's also another midi effect, called "swing-quantize", being
>> fundamentally different. here, iirc, the quarters are moved back and
>> forward to sound like triplets and/or vice-versa.
>>
>> it is my understanding (and i can be wrong) that most hardware like the
>> akai mpcs, the roland grooveboxes et al. has it called "groove-quantize"
>> but in fact is a form of "swing-quantize", at least according to
>> cakewalk's definition.
>>
>> cheers
>
> I can't help thinking this just replaces one form of mechanisation with
> another. Even when recording step-time I have all forms of grid locking
> turned *off*. Notes are very rarely actually on the allotted beat.

I find it rather interesting that since I've been recording MIDI
keyboard input to sequencers - I have to turn on a metronome and really
really really concentrate to make notes land on the allotted beat. Left
to my own, my rhythms change, what I might have heard (while playing) as
4 8th notes was actually 5 8ths played in the same amount of time, etc.

My classical piano teacher once told me that I had a natural syncopation
to my playing. Took much work to get that under control for classical music!

Then I learned a Chopin composition, and my teacher told me that in some
passages the only time it was important for both hands to be in time
together was that they both reached the end at the same time. ;-)

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden