Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: Sebastian Tschöpel <tschoseb@email-addr-hidden-cottbus.de>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 10:12:18 EET

Hello,

@Al

> From my point of view it is very clear that M-Audio does not support
> Linux. What can you expect from a company that does not support
> Linux ? This is not Linux's shortcomings. This has clearly nothing to
> do with Linux.

That is correct. If i've been misunderstood: The article was somehow
pointed to
beginners and I just wanted to be honest, that they should live with the
fact they
could have problems with hardware designed for windows - when they
decide to
switch the os.

I think we agree in that point.

> I've seen a lot of Windows users like that too. Not need to use Linux
> to face problems !

Well, that leads to the "computer-problems are just 60 cm away from the
screen." - thing :)
Correct.

@Dave

Thank you very much for your kind words :)

"Do you have any links to work you've produced with Linux audio tools ?
(Sorry if this question's been asked already.)"

No it hasn't. The last time I recorded music myself was during my
"Windows-era". Then I started to work on / write
new music or recorded elsewhere and in the mean-time I migrated to Linux
- and the real life etc. you know the deal :) .
Now since it works I am going to record the stuff I have written but
unfortunately I cannot show you anything
that satisfies me, yet. Sorry.

To give you an impression what I personally want to do with linux, thats
the last song I recorded on my windows completely on my own:
http://www.sternenhejim.de/share/sternenhejim.ogg

But I heard your (old?) stuff ;)

I really like your voice. Its sounds very professional and cool -
especially on "John The Revelator" - though I would
like to hear the difference to a recording with a good microphone (maybe
a tube) with some more proximity effect (or more base).
Some of the tunes are a bit too Midi'ish to me (Talkin' 'bout the
Weather) and on "it's over" (though it's engineered best and
the additional voice sounds great) I found it a bit strange to have a
rhythmguitar completely on the right and the lead on the
left but thats just a detail. The singer/songwriter-kind-of-tunes are
pretty pretty cool and the songwriting itself, as well.

Best regards,
Sebastian.