Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 12:44:45 EET

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 05:50, Robert Persson wrote:
> Here is a good explanation of how groove quantise works in protools:
> http://www.audiomidi.com/classroom/protools_corner/ptcorner_63.cfm
>
> For some really fancy midi stuff going way further than groove quantise,
> you could take a look at some of Ntonyx's products, such as StyleEnhancer
> and StyleMorpher. If Rosegarden could implement some of those features that
> would be very useful for composers.

Groove quantization is one of the oldest outstanding feature requests in the
Rosegarden tracker, submitted by me in 2002:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=633259&group_id=4932&atid=354932

Unfortunately, as for so many features, this has simply never percolated to
the top of my priority queue, or stack, or whatever my brain uses, and nobody
else has ever shown much interest in coding it. And sadly I only have eight
hands and three heads and there are only 132 hours in the day.

Your remark about the unhelpfulness of comparing Rosegarden with Cubase
arrived on the same day that we removed an introductory note that made that
comparison from the Rosegarden website. Although it's sometimes helpful as a
quick answer to "what the hell is this program with this meaningless name
supposed to be for?", it is certainly problematic, not just as a description
but as a statement of intent. Rosegarden would probably have benefited over
the years from trying less hard to do absolutely everything: attempting
to "be Cubase" is arguably undesirable as well as unachievable.

A related point is that stronger "competition" might also have been
beneficial. If other Linux sequencers were more widely recognised as the
obvious choice for certain sorts of users, we would have felt more free to
focus only on those use cases we were really comfortable with. Being more
popular with users doesn't necessarily gain you a huge number of extra
developers. In this world, as a developer you aren't really in competition
with other applications for user interest, except where it pains you that no
other application is providing a feature at all, or to please your ego. But
it's more important to maintain your own interest by doing the things you
really want to see done.

Sorry, another unhelpful digression in this over-digressed thread.

For what it's worth, Rosegarden does support grid quantize (snapping events to
a grid), swing quantize (displacing the off-beat), and iterative quantize
(pulling events only part of the way to the grid lines), and it can construct
a tempo map from a MIDI segment based on the difference between the actual
beat timings in the segment and the expected timings at the current time
signature (sort of inside-out quantization). But no groove quantize.

Chris