Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 03:06:25 EET

> I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying here, mostly since my
> English is obviously not as aesthetic as yours (hint of jealousy here ;)).
>
> But if you're saying that the 'free' argument isn't an argument, I
> agree. I would even say that the 'free' in 'free software', although
> morally a great concept, is more a curse for our limited domain.

In a nutshell, yes :-)

> > is not such a bad idea after all. And for those who may not have the
> time,
> > resources, or simply skills to pursue funding/sponsorship/patronage, we
> do
> > have entities in OSS community who could ostensibly help in the process
> > provided they have adequate staffing and ultimately community support.
>
> What entities are you referring to?

I think there is a number of possible entities. How about Linuxaudio.org for
instance? Imagine us having an endowment which we can disburse to
contributors of most sought features/add-ons (groove quantizing? :-). How
about in part sponsoring usability team which would enhance existing
applications with more appealing GUIs, better and more user-friendly
interface organization etc.? Doing this is not too farfetched provided we
can muster more enough support in managing ensuing administrative overhead
to get this thing on its feet and perhaps more importantly convince
potential dissenters that this is ultimately a good thing (tm?).

Best wishes,

Ico