Re: [LAU] Strange problems with Audacity

From: Sebastian Tschöpel <tschoseb@email-addr-hidden-cottbus.de>
Date: Sat Dec 15 2007 - 12:25:36 EET

Hello James,

thanks for your reply.

> You could confirm it by trying to open the capture device using a
> simpler utility, such as arecord. If you get the same result, then you
> have nicely excluded audacity from the problem, and identified the
> kernel driver as likely cause.

The ice1712 is the module for my Terratec Phase88/Envy24 Chipset soundcard
which I successfully use all the time with any other audiosoftware on my
linux machine.

> What I recommend ... check for a more recent kernel in whatever
> distribution you are using.

Hmm. Nothing available at the moment. It looks like they're working on a
openSuse 10.3 based JAD release but there is just a source available
that could
still be unstable.

> rebuild the kernel ...

O.o .... now you said the three magic words that makes me get shivers
down my spine.
I use the JAD kernel-rt-2.6.19-5.i586 Thats all I can say.
Unfortunately, I haven't got any clue
about how to recompile/change/patch a kernel. :(

Best regards,
Sebastian.

web: linuxaudioblog.sternenhejim.de