Re: [LAU] Small, cheap computer speakers?

From: Frank Pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 04:24:56 EET

Ken Restivo wrote:
> I'm looking for a source for small, cheap, but relatively nice-sounding computer speakers, preferably ones that are powered off of a 12v wall-wart, for use in a mobile "studio".
>
> Many years ago, a friend had Cambridge Soundwerks speakers in his very small apartment, and I was shocked at how good they sounded. Two little cubes and a big square subwoofer. At the time, he said they were expensive, and that didn't surprise me.
>
> What's out there now? I don't mind shelling out for the Good Stuff-- not quite studio monitors but close--, as long as they can run off of 12v and they are small.
>
> -ken

Ken,

I remember having the same reaction to those Cambridge speakers years
ago. Since then, docks and speaker systems for hand-held audio players
have made similar impressions. I have two sets of Yamaha satellite and
sub-woofer speakers for my desktop and my laptop and they sound
excellent @$99 each. Not 12V however.

Cambridge is still selling systems over a wide range of prices:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_spk_csw

with this one at $80 a particularly good deal @12V, nice specs and
features - avail January:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_spk_csw&item=c1swblke