Re: [LAU] X, gnome-panel, jackd, ardour/rosegarden weirdness

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 11:33:31 EET

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:25:37 +0200
John Anderson <ardour@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I want to share one of those weird things that may save somebody's
> hair follicles from excessive trauma:
>
> Today I had a power failure. When my machine booted up again, I was
> finding weirdness with ardour, rosegarden, jackd and X. On startup or
> shutdown or rosegarden and/or ardour, X would stop responding to
> keyboard and mouse clicks, but would still move the mouse cursor.
> Ardour was still talking nicely to the BCF, but X was totally dead. I
> could ssh into the box and kill the X server.
>
> I eventually tracked it down to gnome-panel talking to
> evolution-data-server. I've just rebuilt gnome-panel without that
> capability, and stability has returned.
>
> bye
> John

Sounds a bit similar to the problems quite some ubuntuusers, including
me, are experiencing on logout time. Once I hit the button nothing
responds to clicks or anything anymore, but I can still move the mouse,
until, after a few minutes, the logout dialogue appears and everything
works as expected from there on.

I got some gnome panel weirdness as well, but only with qjackctl and
systray icon active. It doesn't always happen but sometimes the icon
doesn't show up. When I manage to make it show up by
deactivating/activating that option the _lower_ panel tends to
disappear when the mousefocus is on any window. Or weirdness like that.
I don't know if it is a qjackctl or a gnome panel bug..

bye
        Philipp