Re: [LAU] Seq24 and general MIDI questions

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 10:04:12 EET

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:47:04AM -0500, Charles Linart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The MIDI world is new to me so forgive me if some of these questions
> are kind of dumb.
>
> My overall strategy is to get my beats, keys, and basslines down in
> Seq24 using Zyn, amSynth, and Hydrogen, then send the midi tracks to
> Rosegarden for addition of audio and further tweaking, then mix the
> whole thing down as audio in Ardour. Does that sound about right?

Why not just track the MIDI directly in Rosegarden?

As for audio, better to use Ardour. It syncs up really nicely with Rosegarden or seq24 using JACK Transport.

> 1) Is it possible to send a Seq24 song track-by-track to Rosegarden?
> How? I have been bouncing all the tracks to one audio track and
> mixing in additional audio tracks in Ardour, but that seems like a
> sub-optimal way to do it. If I could get it in Rosegarden in midi
> form, then I could fine-tune the midi tracks even after recording
> audio, right?

You're better off just recording the MIDI in Rosegarden, or, if you prefer using seq24, don't bother with Roesgarden at all, and leave the MIDI in seq24 instead.

> 2) Where can I get additional instruments for Zyn? The ones that
> come with it out of the box are OK, and it's great that you can edit
> them and roll your own instruments. Right now I just want a nice
> natural sounding bass, and the ones that come with Zyn are not cutting
> it. Anybody know where I might find such a thing before I spend five
> hair-pulling hours making my own?

Best to grab a soundfont of an actual bass guitar, and use that in QSynth or fluidsynth.

You do know that Zyn isn't RT-safe, right? It's great for pads but it doesn't play nicely with RT, so if you've got a lot of softsynths going, Zyn might not work so well.

> 3) Can Ardour be used as a midi sequencer? Is it possible to put a
> midi track in Ardour or do you have to send it as audio?

They're working on MIDI support. It might be in SVN; I don't think they've released it yet. But what I've seen looks pretty damned good.

-ken