Re: [LAU] No mic input after removing arts

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 10:53:44 EET

Am Samstag, 12. Januar 2008 schrieb Mrugesh Karnik:
> A while ago, being annoyed by arts interfering with skype, I decided to
> recompile my KDE without arts (I'm on Gentoo). Since then, my KDE does not
> emit any kind of sound for system notifications.

KDE(3) without aRts means KDE without sound. So that is very clear behavior.
Either you want the KDE-systemsounds or not, either you want (or tolerate)
aRts or not.

> The bigger issue is that my mic input simply does not `reach' any software.
> Anything said into the mic comes out from the speakers directly. The volume
> controls in kmix for the mic work correctly, however. How do I fix this?
> Oh, I haven't tried to use the mic anywhere outside KDE..

Maybe try another mixer-app too. alsamixer (and the graphical alsamixergui)
are direct representants of the mixing controls of the soundcard. But I
really doubt that is has anything to do with aRts being removed. Unless you
try to record with an app that only uses aRts and not alsa directly...

Have fun,

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/