Re: [LAU] Some Problems/Questions (about jack , qmidiarp and maybe other)

From: John Anderson <ardour@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 13 2008 - 20:52:21 EET

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 05:18 +0100, luigi curzi wrote:
> > Low latency is necessary if you are using a midi controller to drive a
> > synth on the PC, or if you are recording and you need to do software
> > monitoring.
> >

> with software monitoring do you mean the recording from software
> sources?

Partly. I mean when you have an audio signal that runs into the
soundcard, through jackd and the audio apps, and out again through the
audio card. For example if you have a vocalist singing into a microphone
to a track that's already been recorded. The vocalist will then hear a
delay between what she or he sings and what she or he hears in the
headphones. Which some people find very distracting.

In the above case you'd want to go for the lowest latency your system
can handle. Otherwise using high latency setting for jack would get rid
of the clicks and pops.

bye
John