Re: [LAU] Using a microphone to record acoustic guitar

From: Christian Schumann <schumann@email-addr-hidden-kl.de>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 10:53:13 EET

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:39:16PM +0100, Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
> will a vocals microphone produce acceptable results when used to record
> an acoustic instrument?
To my ears, this strongly depends on the microphone. While I've not been
able to get decent acoustic guitar sounds from handheld dynamic vocal
microphones, my TLM103 works like a charm.

When using cardioid microphones, you have to be careful about the
distance between guitar and microphone, or the bass will get boomy. I
usually set the mic up in about 30cm distance at an angle of 70 degrees
to the face of the guitar, pointing at the position of the neck jiont.

Best regards
Christian

Dipl.-Phys. Christian Schumann   |Technische Universitaet Kaiserslautern
Mail: schumann@email-addr-hidden-kl.de  |           Fachbereich Physik
Tel.: 0631/205-4842 (Office)     |     http://www.physik.uni-kl.de
Tel.: 0631/205-4843 (Lab)        |
Fax.: 0631/205-3902              |
Post: Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse, D-67663 Kaiserslautern