Re: [LAU] Using a microphone to record acoustic guitar

From: Charles Linart <clinart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 05:36:41 EET

This post falls into the "Do as I say, not as I do" realm, but I have
been experimenting with this for a while now and have a few
observations to add.

1) Condenser mics are essential if you hope to capture anything
resembling what you hear as you play. As far as I can tell, one is
pretty much as good as another, but I'm partial to Oktava.

2) Two mics are better than one. A simple XY configuration does wonders.

3) Angle the mic configuration downward at, as someone pointed out
above, about a 70 degree angle (actually, I would expect that the
optimal angle would differ according to how your guitarist wields
their axe... anyway, point 'em down).

4) There are no hard-and-fast rules -- it depends on the sound you
want. If you want a crisp, "blue" sound, mic just up the neck from
the joint. If you want a browner sound, mic close to the hole. If
you want a percussive sound, mic the body itself. The great thing
about the guitar is that it's so many instruments rolled into one.
There's no one-size-fits-all solution for mic-ing.

Hope that helps.