Re: [LAU] [Rosegarden-user] No sounds from my keybord?

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 23:18:22 EET

On Sunday 20 January 2008 21:00, you wrote:
> 2008/1/20, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>:
> > On Sunday 20 January 2008 17:44, Kresten Buch wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Happy to find an open program to write my notes. Its just that I cant
> > > get the dam thing to play.
> > >
> > > I recompiled the kernel, so that the system time is 1000. I do have
> > > the Jack server running, and I installed the synth plugin.
> > >
> > > I have a Yamaha keyboard with medi in and out witch i connected to my
> > > computer with a usb cable.
> > >
> > > Sound is working fine elsewere in my ubunto so I expect alsa i working.
> > >
> > > If I open the MIDI device maneger it finds to play devices and to
> > > record devices.
> > >
> > > Pleace help me out. I tried all the options I coul find myself.
> > > Regards Kresten
> >
> > A couple of questions. Is the snd-usb-audio module loaded? See lsmod for
> > loaded modules. Also if you start Qjackctl, and look in "Connections",
> > and the "midi" tab you should see your keyboard sitting there waiting to
> > be connected to rosegarden.
> >
> > Just a suggestion to checkout your keyboard creating sounds. Install
> > ZynAddSubFX, and again look in Qjackctl's connections, midi tab. Connect
> > your keyboard to ZynAddSubFX, and play a few notes. Any sounds??
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Hi Nigel
> The snd-usb-audio is loaded.
>
> usbcore 109144 6 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
>
> ive been into Qjackctl and I've connected everything to everything.
> It does not seem to change anything.
>
> I installed the ZynAddSubFX and connected that one as well without result.
> When I open the ZynAddSubFX I can't make it play anything by it self.
> I figuer it's suppoused to make sounds when you click with the mouse
> on it's keyboard?
You should get sounds out of Zyn using it's inbuilt keyboard, even if your
Yamaha one has some problems. Have a good look at alsamixer's controls on the
CLI (konsole/terminal). Controls like "master" "pcm" "front", if you have
them need to be unmuted and the sliders pushed up.

The fact that your sounds are working on Ubuntu is a good start. It's worse
when you have no sounds at all.

> I hope this gives you a clue.
> I think its confusing.
>
> Kresten

Which soundcard do you have? lspci will show you this. Just post the relevant
bit for the soundcard.

You say also that you recompiled the kernel. Have you still got another kernel
you can try, and see if the sounds work ok with it? Just a question, but
sometimes something can be missed when configuring a new kernel. Saying that
though, you say that sound is working on ubuntu.

Please make sure you do a "reply to mailing list" from your email client, or a
can help you with this problem.

All the best.

Nigel.

btw. Would you post the output of lsmod | grep snd