Re: [LAU] [Rosegarden-user] Fwd: No sounds from my keybord?

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 01:50:28 EET

On Sunday 20 January 2008 23:38, Kresten Buch wrote:
> 2008/1/20, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>:

> > > Hi Nigel
> > > The snd-usb-audio is loaded.
> > >
> > > usbcore 109144 6
> > > snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
> > >
> > > ive been into Qjackctl and I've connected everything to everything.
> > > It does not seem to change anything.
> > >
> > > I installed the ZynAddSubFX and connected that one as well without
> > > result. When I open the ZynAddSubFX I can't make it play anything by it
> > > self. I figuer it's suppoused to make sounds when you click with the
> > > mouse on it's keyboard?
> >
> > You should get sounds out of Zyn using it's inbuilt keyboard, even if
> > your Yamaha one has some problems. Have a good look at alsamixer's
> > controls on the CLI (konsole/terminal). Controls like "master" "pcm"
> > "front", if you have them need to be unmuted and the sliders pushed up.
> >
> > The fact that your sounds are working on Ubuntu is a good start. It's
> > worse when you have no sounds at all.
> >
> > > I hope this gives you a clue.
> > > I think its confusing.
> > >
> > > Kresten
> >
> > Which soundcard do you have? lspci will show you this. Just post the
> > relevant bit for the soundcard.
> >
> > You say also that you recompiled the kernel. Have you still got another
> > kernel you can try, and see if the sounds work ok with it? Just a
> > question, but sometimes something can be missed when configuring a new
> > kernel. Saying that though, you say that sound is working on ubuntu.

> > All the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
> >
> > btw. Would you post the output of lsmod | grep snd
>
> I tried as you said to ask alsamixer to turn up volume on all devices.
> Didn't help. Then I booted the old kernel, and there sound worked, but
> system speed was still wrong. Still no output from my keyboard.
>
> Then I booted the new kernel again, and sound were working. I seems
> that the ZynaddFx has only one sound, but thats a small problem, (I
> hope).

Just under the "Reverb" (light blue) part on Zyn, and on the right is an empty
combo box. Click on that, and it will open the banks window. On the top left
is a white combo box with an arrow to the right of it. Click,and hold on
that, and you will get a menu of the available sounds. Scroll down while
holding, and click on something. Synth piano for example, and you'll get a
bunch of different sounds in the banks window that you can choose from.

> So, sound is working. Don't know how. But still no keyboard.
Which model of Yamaha keyboard is it. I have an Evolution one (usb), but
perhaps there is some control on your's that needs enabling to send midi
through the usb.

I presume you've done all of this, but just to check. Open Qjackctl, press
start to start the jack daemon. Click on "Connect", and in the Audio tab
highlight zyn on the left, and alsa_pcm on the right, and click the connect
button. Now Click the MIDI tab, or the ALSA one, if it's a later version of
Qjackctl. Your keyboard should be on the left, and Zyn on the right. Just
highlight them, and again click on connect.

> The soundcard is:
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
>
> and the output you asked for is:
> snd_rtctimer 2432 0
> snd_via82xx 21624 5
> snd_ac97_codec 93408 1 snd_via82xx
> snd_pcm_oss 37568 1
> ac97_bus 1824 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_mixer_oss 13472 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_dummy 2564 0
> snd_seq_oss 26944 0
> snd_usb_audio 74048 0
> snd_mpu401 6888 2
> snd_mpu401_uart 6016 2 snd_via82xx,snd_mpu401
> snd_pcm 63688 6
> snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_usb_audio
> snd_page_alloc 7432 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
> snd_usb_lib 13728 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_seq_midi 6144 3
> gameport 10376 2 snd_via82xx,analog
> snd_seq_midi_event 5632 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_rawmidi 17824 3 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
> snd_hwdep 6276 1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_seq 40976 20
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_timer 17284 3 snd_rtctimer,snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device 6252 5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
> snd 41316 23
> snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_usb_au
>dio,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_tim
>er,snd_seq_device soundcore 5376 2 snd
> usbcore 109144 6
> snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

Everything looks ok with your loaded sound modules above.

> to me it looks like there is some midi modules loaded, but if its the
> right ones I don't know.

snd-usb-audio is needed for your keyboard, and is loaded. snd-seq-midi is
needed for creating midi connections in qjackctl. If that wasn't loaded
qjackctl would be complaining.

> I really appreciate that you are taking the time to help me.
> thanks mate.
> Kresten

No problem.

Nigel.