Re: [LAU] Music - Skype and idjc on 64-bit

From: R Dicaire <kritek@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 05:31:09 EET

On Jan 27, 2008 9:37 PM, Norval Watson <norv2001@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> When I start Skype from the terminal I get
>
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:866:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:558:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2106:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_jack.so
> (repeats many times)

Its safe to ignore the dmix,dsnoop warnings IMO.

> I think/hope I got all deps and build deps including lib32asound2 and lib32asound2-dev and I definitely got /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_jack.so on my system.
> I got ia32-libs.
> Do I need linux32? I already have a 32-bit chroot.

I use skype via jack alsa plugin, idjc works, debian lenny 32bit, no
idea if your situation is related to using 64 bit or not. Also, you
dont need idjc to play music over skype. You can create your own PCM
device in .asoundrc to use the jack plugin, and configure skype to use
that device. Then in qjackctl you can connect the relevant capture
ports to the skype PCM playback ports.

Here's my skype section of .asoundrc:

pcm.skype {
   type plug
   slave {
     pcm "configvoip"
   }
}

pcm.configvoip {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
      0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
      1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
      0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
      1 alsa_pcm:capture_1
    }
}

I simply use the "skype" device in skype sound device config.

Also, included with idjc is a script called idjcskype, thats what
you'd execute to use skype with idjc (assuming you added the
appropriate sections to .asoundrc per idjc docs), also requires artsd
to have jack support (don't quote me but I think debian does, I know
ubuntu doesn't)
The idjcskype script handles all the autoconnecting of jack ports for
skype when using it in conjunction with idjc. This way the jack port
names are static, unlike the dynamic port names created by the alsa
jack plugin, thus making the autoconnection possible.

Frankly I find it easier and less system resourceful to use the above
mentioned .asoundrc setup, and manually connect the jack ports once
the skype call is placed. Any jack capable players output can then be
connected to skype.

YMMV, hope this helps...

--
aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present: