Re: [LAU] Notation formats

From: Simon Williams <simon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 22:25:00 EET

Julien Claassen wrote:
> I think with lilypond you wouldn't go wrong. You can convert it to MIDI (to
> an extend) and you can make sheet music of it.
> For ABC: I know you can convert it to MIDI, I don't know about sheet music
> and human-readability.
> For Lilypond I believe there are also graphical editors making it easier
> for you. But don't nail me on this. :-)

So it's down to Lilypond vs MusicXML. I think I prefer MusicXML as a
format, but the main thing now is a good editor and viewer for it.

What I need is something good at displaying the music for playing from-
so something which has page turning with arrow keys or something
sensible, also transposition would be good. It also needs to be able to
work well with chord notation above the music, as I use that a fair bit
(I'm not very good at reading music- at the moment I read the chord for
the notes and use the score for rhythm).

I've got musescore at the moment, but it's a bit cumbersome to use, and
isn't suitable for playing from at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Simon