Re: [LAU] rme fireface 400 on debian?

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 10:58:47 EET

Malte Steiner wrote:
> eva sjuve wrote:
>> hi all
>> is anyone using this? I'm considering new hardware, but want to find out
>> first if there are drivers available?
>
> The fireface uses a custom protocol over firewire which RME dont want to
> give out, hence no drivers.
> In general, when I remember the freebob lecture on last years LAC
> correctly, Firewire is not capable to be driven with a really small
> latency.

Actually I have to revise the opinion I expressed at the LAC talk. There
are scenario's where firewire might even provide better latency than
PCI. I think the lowest latency achievable (at the interface side) is
approx 32 frames (i.e. 2x16) which is quite comparable to PCI I guess.
The problem is the extra latency added by the device. This can be high,
but for some it is very low (e.g. 16 frames).

To summarize: a total roundtrip latency (jdelay) of less than 100 frames
is achievable with firewire. A delta1010 has approx 180 frames (if I
remember correctly), so I guess firewire can be competitive.

Greets,

Pieter